Thursday, August 2, 2007

And So It Begins...

Deployment Number Two has officially begun.

Tony left Tuesday at 6:00am. It was hard. We stood at the base for 3 hours waiting for the buses to arrive. It was sad to look around and see all the marines with their girls and families. Needless to say, most of the girls had the same looks on their faces. I wonder how many stayed up half the night upset like me? I think I did pretty good with it though. Of course I cried, but I wasn't hysterical. Just hugging him outside that bus, then backing up and watching him get on - so hard. As we walked back to the rental car, I couldn't stop the tears. They were automatic but I wasn't hysterical. So I guess that was good. We followed the buses on the hour drive to Morehead City where they would be boarding their ship. We got some good pictures of the ship but I couldn't see Tony. The port was a secured and restricted area. He has already called me like 3 times since this. I am so thankful for that. Last year when he went to Iraq it was maybe a good 10 days before I heard from him after they left the states. I think they shipped off yesterday and it might be another week before I hear from him again. Hopefully he'll get his email address approved or the phones well be working soon. I didn't let my emotions catch up until I was alone in my hotel room. I crawled into bed in a ball and cried myself back to sleep...

The weekend was a great time though. My dad and brother flew down to Jacksonville with me Friday afternoon. Tony was at the airport to greet us. We gave my dad and brother a tour of the base (part of it at least!) The weather was alright - lots of scattered thunderstorms came in out of no where but no all-day rain storms. We went to Onslow Beach for a bit until the lifeguards kicked us out due to lightening sightings. We ate like royalty the whole time, haha. This was my dad's vacation too, I think he enjoyed it! We went to the mall and got stickers and shirts with USMC logos of course. We also took a little drive out to Emerald Isle on Saturday evening. It was beautiful. Sunday we spend most of the day out at Onslow Beach again. Everyone got fried! I advice you all not to use spray on sunscreen, it does not work!! If you do use it, spray is slowly and close and BEFORE going into the sun. Tony didn't wear any and he fell asleep on the beach so he was just red all over. But my brother, dad, and I used the spray and we ended up burnt in blotchy spots. Its not pretty! But it was a blast. The ocean water was so warm. We spent most of the day jumping waves and floating around. The weekend was great. I have a hard time remember what we did which days because they all ran together for me, but they're great memories to last me the next 7 months.

Right now we're only 2 days into this deployment. I miss him like crazy. Even though we don't see each other on a regular basis, I miss being able to call him on my way home from school or before I go to bed. Any time I get the feeling of "omg I miss him..." I write a letter. Thats what I did last time, it seemed to work. At least this next month is crazy busy, it should fly by. This weekend I work and I will be working a neighborhood yard sale at my grandma's house. Next weekend Lauren comes to visit!! YAY! The weekend after that, Cort and Jim get married and Lindsay will be here for that. The 23rd is my birthday. School starts up again the 27th. So that's my August - pretty busy! I'm hoping I will get a lot of hours at work and my VERY LAST SEMESTER of college should keep me busy until December. December!! Thats most of the deployment consumed by my classes. I hope that after the pain of him leaving goes away a bit that time will fly. Lets hope!

1 comment:

~Betsy said...

You did good, Nikki. If you and Tony can survive deployments, you can survive anything life throws your way as a couple. Hang in there.