Sunday, September 2, 2007

Last Horse Show of the Season

Today was the last day of the last horse show this season. The weather was so perfect for a horse show. Not too hot, low humidity, sunny clear skies, no rain! It was a beautiful weekend. I couldn't make it to bathing day on Wednesday nor set-up day on Thursday due to school being back in session. I also didn't make it there Friday because of work. But I finally got up there Saturday afternoon for a few hours until I got called into work from 7:00-close (figures! but I want the money). And we got up there again today from 8:00am-5:00pm. Long day today but it was busy so I am sure they appreciated the help. Gosh I just love to dive in to getting horses ready and helping the kids get through their class. The one girl, Christina, won her open English JR Exhibitor today! It was so exciting. It reminds me of when I was 12 and 13 like they are and I would go into a class all nervous and worried, then have a kick butt ride and take home a blue. Those were the good old days! Nothing beats that thrill and that excitement. It was also so great that my mom was able to slip away from the house both Saturday and today to come with me. We used to do horse shows together for YEARS, and I really enjoyed spending horsey time together again :)

Wow do I miss showing though. I retired Fanny (my Arabian show horse) officially from the show ring this year. She would keep doing it if I asked her to and put her back to work, but she is 26 years old and has given me her entire heart since I got her in 1998. She has earned a happy and healthy retirement. But I definitely really miss having a horse to pull into shape, take to the shows and see how we do. Its so hard to stand at the rail instead of riding in it! And sometimes I get this crazy idea where I think "if I save this much money each month I'll be able to get one!" Then I remember that 'getting one' comes with board to pay and farrier/vet bills which seem to be never ending. And that I am also trying to be a 'big girl' and save for a house since I am going to be married in April. My mom keeps saying I'll get another one some day, its just really hard to imagine right now. Sometimes I wish a million dollars would fall out of the sky on my front porch one day. I know they say money can't buy happiness, but gosh would it sure help me out!! I'd pay off school, get my house and barn, and get myself a new show horse. Sigh...o well hopefully my mom is right and I'll have a new one someday.

1 comment:

~Betsy said...

Of course I'm right! :P

I had fun this weekend, too. Nothing like coming home together being all hot, dirty and smelly! It was long overdue.