Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Black Ice in Coastal Carolina!




Last night it got rather cold here. I believe the lows were said to get to 30 or colder. To me, that is nothing! But to the residents of coastal North Carolina, its a deep freeze! I watched with one eye open as Tony piled on the layers today for work. And he got annoyed trying to get his cammie top pulled over all the layers. I just giggled to myself because I know how irritating that is when your sleeves get all bunched up under your top layer. I dug out some hand and foot warmers I had stashed away. Today it is in the 30s and sunny. But I knew he would be cold standing outside all day at the shooting range.

Yesterday it rained all day. It was a steady cold rain with a high of about 45. Tony came home soaked from head to foot. His boots are still wet today! When the temperatures dropped below freezing last night, all that water from yesterday's rain had no where to go but freeze. I hadn't thought of it this morning, or else I would have warned Tony to be safe. Tony came in all frantic because his truck was iced over. He took some hot water with him (no idea what for) and went back out to the truck to leave for work. About 10 minutes later, I get a call. I answer and Tony replies, "I had my first experience with black ice!" He said that he was on a bridge doing the speed limit when suddenly his truck started to pull to the right toward the edge of the bridge. Then it caught pavement again and he was fine. He said he was both scared and excited to experience ice for the first time. I then asked him to text me when he got to the range so I know he made it safely!

I hadn't thought of it much but up home, they would have salted over night and in the morning because experience tells us that rain all day and below freezing temps over night would lead to ice in the AM before the roads had much of a chance to heat up from the sun and traffic. How interesting to see the difference of winter in the South versus the North!

*Not sure where this is...its beautiful! But not something I'd like to drive on!*

1 comment:

~Betsy said...

I'm glad Tony was OK after that ice experience. Black ice is nasty! It will be fun watching him learn to winter when you guys move to the north!