Monday, December 31, 2007

Winding down 2007, welcoming 2008

Well the hustle and bustle of the holidays is basically over. I really enjoyed shopping for everyone this year and was so excited to watch my family open their stuff on Christmas morning. I think our Christmas went pretty well. It was hard because Gram passed away less than two months ago. I felt sad Christmas Eve because that was always Grandma and Papa holiday time. Now that they're both gone, Christmas Eve is just another day to me. I got stuck working Christmas day with the close shift. I wished so much I would have worked Christmas Eve instead. At least I got time and a half to stand and play cards while building a gingerbread house.

Christmas was also difficult this year since Tony was so far away floating around on a boat with a couple hundred marines and sailors. He had to have been feeling sad that day. Of course I miss him and wish he could have been home for Christmas, but at least I had my family to spend it with. Tony at least got to call me Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Christmas Eve we got to talk for a little longer than usual but Christmas Day was a strict 15 minute time limit since there were more Marines than phone call slots. Even with 15 minute limits, there would still be 50-80 men who did not get to call home for Christmas.

About a month ago, Tony's leave dates were expected to be February 1st until February 18th. Tony was 99% sure it would stay that way. So I went ahead and bought us plane tickets to Tampa for a long weekend to visit his family. Sure enough, a couple of weeks ago I hear the leave dates have not only changed, but been cut in half. And that half point is right in the middle of our "trip" to Tampa. So much for that right? I finally called Expedia yesterday to see what I could do about changing or canceling our tickets. The woman I spoke with sounded Indian and her thick accent was really hard to understand, but she was very helpful. At first, it seemed as thought the tickets would be an extra 600 per person! Plus 100 dollar penalty fees for each ticket and 30 dollar fee from expedia. I felt almost in tears as I explained to Zunni (the Expedia rep.) that my fiancee is military, he is who I will be traveling with, and his leave dates changed which is why we had to change the travel dates. She said she would check with USAir about their policies, she said "sometimes they wave fees for military situations." I doubted USAir gave a flying poo. After being on hold for ten minutes or so, Zunni returns to explain she is still on hold with USAir. While I was on hold I found different travel dates for a better price and she took down the flight info and put me back on hold. After being on hold another ten minutes, she returned sounding excited and said "Nicole, I have good news! USAir is going to wave the 100 dollar fees and I will wave Expedia's 30 dollar fee, you will have to pay 88 dollars." I asked it was 88 per person, but it was actually 88 TOTAL! I was so excited I wanted to cry. What a relief! Now we'll go down for only 3 days, but its better than not being able to go at all.

Homecoming is getting so close! Less than one month. Lauren and I will drive down together. We are like two six year olds bouncing around so excited for our boys to come home. Lauren has become such a good friend--I don't know how I would have survived my second deployment without her! We keep each other sane and focused on the end result. I am so thankful to have her as a friend. Love you girl!!

Tonight is the last holiday we have until the boys are back home. Its hard to believe in 14 short hours it will be the year 2008. I don't have any plans for tonight other than working until ten. I'm just happy I get to come home in time to watch the ball drop. Although it won't be that exciting. Some year I'd love to travel to NY for New Years, or at least go somewhere. And another year I'd love to host a New Years party in my future house! I'll go all out with dorky hats and noise makers, decorations, and tons of food.

Farewell 2007.....hello 2008!

1 comment:

~Betsy said...

Hooray for Zunni!

I'm looking forward to this coming year, too. Even though it will be busy and hectic these first few months, it is sure to be a good year!

Love ya' buddy.