Monday, May 25, 2009

Lost Kitty Fright

Thursday morning I was packing for a horse show we would be leaving for later in the afternoon. I had my suit cases on the bed and my kitties kept playing in them. I remember I had piles of clothes everywhere and drawers open as well. We have these two plastic storage sets with three drawers in each. They are the type you would find at Wal-Mart for about fifteen dollars. They used to be in the bottom of our walk-in closet, but since we don't have a closet any longer, I put them along the wall in the bedroom next to our bed. One is for my socks and underwear and the other for Tony's. I had the top two drawers open for quite some time. I then walked away to clean my horse's stalls and organize a few other things. I remember this was the last I saw of the one kitty Malone.

Eventually I came back into the bedroom to finish up the packing, pushed all the drawers closed and got ready to go. When I went to say 'bye' to my kitties, I could only find the younger one, Rocky. No Malone anywhere. I franticly searched all of the house. I even searched around the perimeter of the house, just incase he got outside. That is when I found that one of our living room windows had slid down at the top some how. It was open about six inches and I burst into tears when I put all the signs together and jumped to the conclusion that he must have leaped out the window some how. We searched for about five or so hours before finally deciding to get in the car and drive to Ohio for the horse show. I was so upset.

My parents and brother both searched all around the house, calling for him inside and out. By Sunday, I had given up all hope on finding my precious kitty. I got home from the show that evening. I felt so sad sitting here watching the other kitty walk around, almost like he was looking for his 'big brother.' At around 1:30am I was washing my face for bed. I changed my shirt and was reaching for a hoodie on top of the plastic drawers when I froze completely. I thought I could hear Malone purring. My heart started to pound as I tried to figure out where it was coming from. I flattened to the ground to check under the bed, nothing there. I could still hear his distinct purr. What the heck? I was leaning on the drawers and then I could FEEL his purring. There was a stack of folded clothes on top so I began to tear through them, confused more and more as I dug. Still nothing! Then something made me bend down toward the louder sound and I flung open the very bottom drawer.

Out pops his ruffled head and I scooped him into my arms squealing "MALONE!" Tony had fallen asleep on the couch and he sturred a little groggy from hearing all the comotion. I started to cry and I said, "Look! I found Malone! In a drawer!!" Tony leaped up and ran to him petting him with a complete look of shock on his face. He ran to tell my parents and we all crowded around the little guy. Poor thing was trapped in there for four days. He had peed himself a few times and was a bit smelly as a result. Nothing a few kitty wipes can't fix! He woofed down a can of kitty food, fresh water, and some more dry food before running around with his brother, reunited with his family!

1 comment:

~Betsy said...

This is such a great story! It's one for the record books! I'm so, so glad he's OK. Little booger. haha