Friday, April 3, 2009

Twilight Saga



Last weekend, my husband and I got the movie Twilight. I had been curious to see it but had my expectations low-I'd heard such mixed reviews about it and the books. Let me say that I was pleasantly surprised! The movie was wonderful. The characters were so easy to fall in love with. Its amazing how Meyer (author of the saga) was able to make the vampire characters so enchanting and appealing that you are able to love them, rather than fear and disgust them for being an evil undead creature.

Stephanie Meyer is rather young, the bio on her website tells us she was born in 1973 (she would have only been 12 when I was born). Twilight was her first published book. It came out in 2005. It mustn't have been as popular as it has been the last year or two becuase I never noticed it in the stores actually. Now, of course, the stores have huge Twilight displays with shirts and bags and posters and more. I wasn't looking, but I had been in book stores for college and I can remember waiting in the very long line at Pitt's bookshop looking around at the Fiction books surrounding me. I can't recall ever seeing it.


While between theater and DVD, I decided I'd give the books a shot. At the time I was finishing up the final two Harry Potter books, so I figured I'd get to Twilight eventually.

Last week, I had a great coupon for Books-A-Million so I decided to just go for it and get the Saga. I read the first book in less than a week, it was two pages shy of 500. I was so drawn into this story I could not put it down. Even though I had seen the book and knew what happens, I still wanted to read the story and easily swallowed 100 pages in one sitting. I realize this book as been criticized a lot, but I truly enjoyed it.
Last night I started the second installment of the Saga called New Moon. I told my husband "I hope I can finish it by November when the movie comes out." This was obviously before I read page one of the first book! At the rate I am going, New Moon will be finished by Monday.
Eclipse is book three, and I have heard its fantastic. The one Twilight fan said to me, "you know...book two was great, but oh my gosh book three! You will NOT be disappointed!" and I quickly told her not to give me any details.

Breaking Dawn, the final book, is the most recent and final addition to the Saga. Where I am now in the second book, I won't say what happens incase anyone who is reading this hasn't read it and plans to, my curiousity is going out of control wondering what could be in the next 1100+ pages of this Saga.
....So what on earth is it that makes Twilight so appealing!? Its directed toward teenagers, and obviously I am not a teenager any longer. Maybe its because we can all relate, even just a little? I mean no, I've never been madly in love with a vampire who drives a shiney silver Volvo (haha), but I can remember being a young girl in love with a boy who she knew was wrong or would never be able to have a future with him. And Bella is a realistic character. She is clumsy, akward, and unsure of where she wants to be in the next few years (although you readers know where she really wants to be!). I think Kristen Stewart is the perfect Bella. Kristen is really a beautiful and talented young lady, I am very excited to see her grow into a wonderful actress!

And Edward, he is so beautifully described in the story. And the things he says are so romanitic, you don't have to be a gushy person to melt over them. Then seeing the character on screen played by the stunningly handsom Robert Pattinson, how could you not fall in love with Edward!? I remember seeing Robert as Cedric in the 4th and part of 5th Harry Potter films and thinking "wow, he is so attractive!" I read somewhere that Robert beat out 3000 others to claim the part of Edward, I can see why! He's really made a name for himself now by playing Edward. Suddenly girls are going crazy over him, wonder if he was ready for it?!

No comments: