Friday, June 20, 2008

No Job

Since I was 15, I have always had a job. I started at a personal care home as a nurse's aide, pretty eye-opening stuff for a young girl! But oddly, it didn't bother me as much as I would have expected. I stayed there for a few months. I turned 16 that August, and by March had quit the personal care home and started at Rita's Italian Ice. Oh I loved that goofy job. The summer I graduated highschool, my boss promoted me to manager. I really enjoyed it. I was organized and it was A/C in there...works for me! Between seasons I could never find another job that really worked out for me: Eat N Park, Pac Sun, Wet Seal, etc. I was at Rita's 4 years before Steve sold the place. I didn't get a long at all with the new owners. I questioned how they did a lot of things and I think they resented the fact that I knew a heck of a lot more than they did. So into my 5th Ice season, I walked out of my beloved Rita's job. That was the first time I was unemployed for more than a few weeks. I got a job at Blockbuster in August of 2006. Another goofy job I hated to love and loved to hate. I made wonderful friends at that job. When I decided to move to North Carolina with Tony, I left Blockbuster in April of this year for the wedding things and moved to Jacksonville on the 28th. The plan was to transfer to a Blockbuster here - as you can read in my previous post, that did not work out. I even left behind a wonderful horse-sitting job that kept me busy 2-4 times each year when Pam would go out of town. She has already replaced me...

So I have no job. Financially, we're ok because Tony makes enough for both of us. But I'm not used to not working. I wouldn't have minded this a few months back when I was trying to finish up college, but without schoolwork to occupy my time, I feel lost without a job. I was trying really hard to start my own little business with horses. Again as in my previous post, its not working out. I am stuck and frustrated because I don't know how else to promote it. I guess my mom had a point that I am not down here long enough to really get established and well-known with the local equestrians.

I just feel like a big loser as a jobless college grad. Even a little retail job feels ridiculous to me. I have been toying with looking for something, but everything around here is retail and that puts a really bad taste in my mouth. Screaming children and endless lines. I had visted Jacksonville a good amount of times before moving here, but I never noticed how congested EVERYTHING is - oh yeah I hate it. And to top it off, I would need at least 4 long weekends off in the next 3 months for all the wedding things I have going on up north. I think most employers would be very unwelcoming about that.

I also feel like most of my friends are short with me because I have all this "free time." Its not like I get to spend all day with Tony having a blast. He leaves at 5am and sometimes doesn't get home until after 5pm. I sit here alone watching the time pass.

I think I'll try to find a job after September when all the wedding craziness is over....

1 comment:

~Betsy said...

Don't worry about what people think, or what you think they think. As long as you and Tony are happy, that's all that matters right now. Love ya!